BROWSE BY:     Title Number Subject Creator Digital Content

Interview with Linda Moore, August 6, 2008 | UNCW Archives and Special Collections Online Database

pdf icon Get PDF Version
Interview with Linda Moore, August 6, 2008
August 6, 2008
Interview with Linda Moore, who has worked at UNCW in Student Affairs and in the Division of University Advancement. In this interview, she focuses on her career in the University Union Department.
Phys. Desc:

Interviewee: Moore, Linda Interviewer: Riggins, Adina Date of Interview: 8/6/2008 Series: Voices of UNCW Length: 100 minutes

Riggins: Hello. My name is Adina Riggins. I am behind the camera here in the University Archives at UNCW. I am the University Archivist. We are conducting an oral history interview for our Voices of UNCW Oral History Program. Today is August 6, 2008. I am very pleased to have a very welcome participant in our program who will be talking to us about her years of experience in student affairs. Please, Miss Moore, will you state your full name for the benefit of our viewers?

Moore: It is Linda Shaver Moore.

Riggins: Thank you. Thanks for being here. We usually start our interviews by asking some basic questions, biographical questions such as where you were born and where you grew up. But this time I'd like you to do something different because you have been kind enough to bring in some artifacts and visual materials for archives. So I'd like you to show some of them on the camera and have you explain them. Please start with..

Moore: Okay. I was lucky enough to have careers at UNCW in Student Affairs and then my last six years I was in the Division of University Advancement. My materials today pertain to my career with the University Union Department. The first thing I have, which is really cool, is some old information from the seventies. One of our student government presidents is the one that came up with the "UNC by the Sea". He created a bumper sticker. They were hot items. Everybody loved the "UNC by the Sea" idea. This was probably mid-seventies that his came out. I also have- I have to kind of chuckle about this. Our Office of Information Services had to put out..

Riggins: As it was called then.

Moore: Right. Had to put out an explanation, not exactly a retraction but an explanation of why the Seahawk did an April Fool's addition back in the 70s that was mistakenly taken for real newspaper. Some of the stories in here- some people took wrong and complained to the Star News; complained to our chancellor. So, I do have the Information Services explanation here of what happened and why.

Riggins: Can you hold that up? We've got a good zoom on this camera. That was the press release as it looked at that time. thank you.

Moore: I also have the letter to the editor by a person that wrote many letters to the editor if I remember. This man was in print quite frequently with his take on why the students were wasting their time frivolously. They should be attending to studies. I still have that.

Riggins: Was he faculty?

Moore: No. He was just a member of the community. I still have that. The university started printing its own folders for faculty/staff use and the union made it to the cover right after the Union opened. Up to the time the university just had its symbol on the folder so, I was very proud of the fact that they chose the union. There's the map on the back of campus as it existed probably 1984. When the Union opened we had a lot of hoopla. I brought you a button that we passed out ahead of time for the students to get excited about.

Riggins: It says, "Head for the Union." That was in 1983.

Moore: It was. Correct. Thank you. Pictured on there is the hot air balloon because we had a big balloon that looked like a hot air balloon that we flew over the Union on the day that it opened and probably for a couple days before. One of the sadder events, in fact I have a picture of the UNCW Today Magazine that includes a shot of the balloon as we were launching it. At the end of that first day that the Union opened, the housekeeper that worked for me that was responsible for tethering the balloon on the roof came to me and said when he was taking it down the balloon had gotten away. Everybody was so sad and so upset. We thought maybe somebody will find it. So, we put the word out. All the radio stations carried it. We advertised there would be a reward if someone found it. No one did. We were very sad.

Riggins: Was it rented?

Moore: We actually purchased it.

Riggins: You had hoped to use it again. At least you had..

Moore: Yes. True. Someplace in my things, Adina, I know I have a picture of the balloon flying over the union and I will try to find that picture and donate it. it was wonderful for the short time it was up there flying around. I have the press release that announces the opening of the Union and a couple, two editions, one right before and then one right after the Union opening with pictures. In this one, a letter from me that went out to alumni asking them, the faculty and staff, to please attend the opening. The opening was on a Saturday. Although, we opened the building ourselves Monday previously.

Riggins: The idea was have it on Saturday so people would be able to come.

Moore: Right. It was incorporated into University Day, which was probably the first time the university really welcomed the public in with some various talks and lectures, demonstrations, tours of campus and tours of different buildings. This was quite a successful event. We had a lot of people say they didn't realize how big UNCW had become because driving by on South College Road, the University had looked the same for so many years. That was a well received event.

Riggins: Do you remember was it Dr. Wagoner who wanted to have University Day? Or was it..?

Moore: Actually, I think this was Ty Rowell's idea to welcome the university. I jumped right on it and thought, that's wonderful. Because that would give added publicity to the Union and let's just do everything at one time. Here's that picture. I do have it with me, of the balloon. We paid extra to have letters that we could place underneath that would mention events or whatever.

Riggins: It was stable. It was just kind of hanging suspended there for..

Moore: Just tethered there. Right.

Riggins: Tethered from the roof.

Moore: From the roof. Yes. The idea was to be able to exchange the letters to say different things and announce events. There is that for you. The Seahawk printed an orientation edition every summer for freshman that came to campus. The 1984 edition I still have, has an interesting cross section of information about the different departments and how big they were and how small they were back then.

Riggins: That's great. Thanks.

Moore: In 1984, we had the Union's first birthday party. We invited everybody to come and celebrate. We had games and things happening. One of the secretaries, Mickey Rainer who was in the Department of Sociology I believe, was a master cake baker. He came up with a two scale replica of the University Union, which is not an easy thing to do. I was so impressed. People were just awestruck when they came and saw this creation.

Riggins: I can't believe I have not seen a picture of that. That's amazing.

Moore: It was delicious cake too by the way. Also, during that first birthday celebration we planted a time capsule, a 50 year time capsule that had to be unearthed when they created the new addition last year. But we buried the time capsule at that time.

Riggins: Tell us where it was placed.

Moore: It was originally buried in the courtyard of the Union. The courtyard of course has disappeared and is now a lobby. But Carolyn Farley is going to choose another location for the capsule for the remaining years that it has.

Riggins: Right. It's going to be somewhere in the Union probably.

Moore: Probably.

Riggins: Has anyone investigated the contents to make sure they're okay?

Moore: Yes. She did open it and be sure everything was in good shape. It was.

Riggins: We're not quite there yet.

Moore: Not quite. And then, we also marked the University's fifth birthday occasion with another party but unfortunately, we didn't have another cake. People were disappointed I believe. Then I brought you some memorabilia about the activity program. We inaugurated an outdoor concert called "Seaside Jam". The concert was a benefit for the Save the Whales Foundation. I think we were one of the first schools to start doing something with an ecology focus.

Riggins: Did the student's select that cause?

Moore: Right. They did. They came up with the idea to not only do the concert but to send the proceeds to a marine related foundation. Our marine biology program had just- the Masters' had just been inaugurated so that was on everybody's mind.

Riggins: What was the first year for it? 1980?

Moore: I believe this was the first year. Yes. From then on Seaside Jam would have numbers, one, two, three, four. We did a little celebration in '79 to mark ten years of the University being part of the system. Then I brought you just a button from the University Program Board, the group of students that sponsored most of the activities, lectures, dances, concerts, so on; on campus. This is an early version of their little logo.

Riggins: University Program Board.

Moore: Right. It's called ACE now. This was the predecessor. Then as the campus grew and the Union became crowded, it was obvious we needed more space. It was difficult at that time to add onto the Union. So we took what was the warehouse building and it was remade into the University Center, which is now called the Warwick Center.

Riggins: That was a warehouse building at one point?

Moore: That was the warehouse.

Riggins: I had no idea.

Moore: They kept a couple of the walls and that's about it. I brought you the painter's cap.

Riggins: And the painter's hat.

Moore: The painter's hat. I believe you probably have, and this was a reminder of what we did when we opened the Union because we passed out painter's caps at that time too. So we had to do again for the Center. I have a video tape of the ribbon cutting ceremony for the Center that I'll leave with you. This is all 1991; a copy of the invitation that went out to faculty, staff, community. The buttons that we gave everybody before it opened to advertise the fact that we were opening and the original floor plan of the Center. It looks, of course, very different now.

Riggins: The University Center to be renamed Warwick Center.

Moore: Right.

Riggins: That was 1991 when you cut the ribbon.

Moore: Right. When we just opened the doors. I'll keep my eyes open, Adina, as I go through more of my things at my house.

Riggins: I appreciate that very much. We do have some of those, I know I've recognized, in the collections but what's good for our archives, we can put it in different places and then you can find it whether you're looking up University Union or looking up other aspects of history. We'll inventory the buttons. It's really fun to do pictures too. We do a website with the photos. That's something we aspire to.

Moore: Good. I'm glad to hear that. I'll just leave all these things for you.

Riggins: Sounds wonderful. Thank you for that illustration.

Moore: You're welcome. I'm happy to see things preserved and cared about.

Riggins: Yes. We are all about that. And we're also about organizing it, so that people can find it when they want to. What's the point in having it preserved, if no one is going to come see it? So, we want to organize it so that people can find it when they need to see it. We want to make sure people know about us and get the word out that we're the place to come to for University history. We can't get everything out of Ty. What if he's not here with it? Well, then, if you don't mind, let's start with some history pre-UNCW. Where were you born and where did you grow up?

Moore: I was born and grew up in upstate New York. I grew up next to my grandparent's farm. I went into a two room schoolhouse until seventh grade. I have a very unusual, small town for sure, background.

Riggins: Where was that?

Moore: That was upstate New York.

Riggins: Upstate New York. Wow.

Moore: Outside of Troy, which is across the river from Albany.

Riggins: What about post secondary education? Where did you go?

Moore: I went to the State University of New York College at New Paltz for my first two years and then transferred to the University of Buffalo, which was then just beginning to be known as the State University of New York in Buffalo. I graduated from there with a Degree in Sociology. Got married shortly afterward. Moved to Illinois. Ended up taking some graduate courses at the University of Illinois in Champagne Urbana.

Riggins: That's a big place.

Moore: But then ten years later, I actually left UNCW for a year to go to North Carolina State University and got my Masters in Guidance and Personnel Services.

Riggins: You finished at NC State?

Moore: Right. Yes, I did.

Riggins: How did you arrive at UNCW? Did you come from another position, another job?

Moore: When I was married and we moved to Illinois, I taught school for three years. I taught fourth grade. When we moved here, Wilmington was a very small town. It was kind of a sleepy, slow town. I didn't feel qualified to teach down here with all that was happening back in 1971. I didn't want to type. So, I spent a year with just part-time jobs. Then I would come out here every three months, talk to personnel man, and Charlie would tell me, "No, we don't have anything for you." About a year later, the summer of '72, I came and walked in. He smiled and said, well, "I have somebody you can talk to." We've just hired a new Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. So, he walked me down the hall to Dr. William Malloy's office. Dr. Malloy talked with me, interviewed me, maybe a week later with the rest of the staff there, and I was hired and became UNCW's first Student Activities Director. So, I started in September in 1972.

Riggins: September 1972. Wow. If you could talk about what was the University like at this time? It was small but were there a lot of faculty coming in? Was it growing at this time?

Moore: Actually, there was a spurt of growth. The University became part of the UNC System back in '69 and probably in '71, '72, '73, a lot of positions opened up. A lot of new people were hired. So, when I came on board, there were a lot of people in their 20s, as I was, with a lot of energy. I think the campus started to move. UNCW mirrored what was going on at the time in the larger community, not just in Wilmington but in the nation. There were Vietnam War protests. There were a lot of debate, pro and con of course, about the Equal Rights Amendment being passed. The whole situation with the integration of the school system here in Wilmington. That was happening at the time. The Wilmington Ten had just occurred. So, race relations were an item. Things were kind of tough. UNCW was a relatively homogonous school. Most of the students were from the seven county area here in the southeast. Most were traditionally aged. There were no night classes. Most of the students were white, middle classed student. That rapidly began to change however in the ensuing years. But when I first came, it was pretty quiet place to be, just like the community was; Wilmington was.

Riggins: And isolated somewhat.

Moore: Yes. Isolated. I think that had a lot to do with the fact that it was quiet and the fact that it was rather homogenous.

Riggins: I had gotten the sense, sort of in your position too, you were a local person by the time you were looking for a job. It's almost like they pounced on people who were local or already had ties to this area. It's like they thought nobody else would find their way here. I heard that with other faculty.

Moore: That's probably true. I don't think they nationally searched.

Riggins: No. No. They said, "Oh, we don't have money for that." I heard that from a librarian who worked here. You might remember, she was a cataloger here for many years.

Moore: Louise?

Riggins: Not Louise, but she knew Louise of course. I'll think of it. She was from Wilmington. She was in Library School in Atlanta after having heard school here. She got a call from the dean or somebody said, "Hey, do you want to come back." It's almost as if no else would want to. You've got to call local people. They already have an "in". Things changed after that.

Moore: They did, but it took a while for it to completely change. It was a small community. With only 2,200 students back in 1972, everyone knew one another. Students knew all the faculty whether they had a class with them or not. They knew them by reputation for sure. People said hello, often times with first names. Two thousand two hundred students, that's the size of all four of our high schools at this point. So, it was not a really big campus at all.

Riggins: You mentioned there was political activity. I haven't heard much about that at UNCW as far as Vietnam War. Were there a couple of demonstrations, peaceful demonstrations that students organized?

Moore: No. Not that I remember. There might have been some before I came in '72. But there was alto of talk about it. I believe there were some opinion articles written for the student newspaper and certainly discussions in class about it. Nothing overt. What I do remember though was the first protest. And I was very proud of our students to get out there and make a statement in front of cameras that were rolling. For the Iranian hostages. It wasn't until then that the students really rallied, came together, created an event, and then asked the newspaper to come out and cover this and the TV stations. That was the first time that I witnessed a real open reaction.

Riggins: That would have been '79.

Moore: '79, yeah. It took a few years.

Riggins: Students had a conversation on campus, kind of a forum about it?

Moore: Right. And then they marched around the flagpole in the quad in front of Alderman Administration building. That was quite the event.

Riggins: Media covered it?

Moore: Yes. We did have all the media here for that.

Riggins: They did a good job with that. Linda, you said your first position was Student Activities Director.

Moore: Right. That was my title.

Riggins: You were the first person in that role. It was a new position.

Moore: Yes.

Riggins: What was involved with that position?

Moore: I remember well my first day that Dr. Malloy walked me from his office in Alderman across the quad to Hinton James, which was a fraction of the size it is now. It was a very small building. It had been one of the three original buildings with the Fine Arts department and the campus cafeteria located there. The cafeteria had just moved out to Westside Hall, freeing up some space on the first floor. I walked into a rather shabby building with some distressed plastic vinyl furniture and I think they had a pool table and maybe a foosball table, a couple student offices. The counseling center was located there. The campus radio station had just moved to another small little outbuilding on campus so they gave me the old campus radio station office, which was of course paneled with windows. But it was right inside the door as you walked in from the quad to the left was my office. So it was a perfect location for students to get to know me. Of course, in the beginning they were very suspicious that I was part of the administration so therefore I was a spy. I was only the second woman administrator on campus. So, females in positions of any responsibility were scarce.

Riggins: Dorothy Marshal happened to be first.

Moore: Right. Dorothy Marshal and then Helena Cheek was the Dean of Women when I came. Those were the two females that had any kind of administrative responsibility. I was fairly young so many times I would be mistaken by faculty and staff as another student. The students, of course, would think I was the spy.

Riggins: They didn't believe there was someone hired to be..?

Moore: That was going to be supportive and helpful. Yes. I wasn't really sure of my role for several months. Then I finally got my feet under me and figured out what I needed to be doing. My boss was very busy with other things. I had very little training. I was able to grow into the job as the job grew itself. I started up by supervising a little pool room that was there, fixing pool cues and handing out..

Riggins: That was in James Hall?

Moore: In James Hall. Yes. Handing out the brushes so they could clean the tables. Working with all the different clubs and organizations, including some sororities and fraternities that were alive and well at that time. The newspaper "The Seahawk", the yearbook "The Fledgling Staff", the student government. Student government at that time, had four different small committees that did the entertainment for campus. So, slowly I gained their trust and they allowed me to sit in at their meetings and help them understand some principles of good programming in terms of publicity and when you do programs and what sort of things and concert groups rider that you can cross out and say, "No, we're not going to supply this in the background." So, we learned together a lot of these principles. Gradually, the Student Government Committees decided that they didn't want to report to Student Government, that they wanted to be their own little entity. So, we started the Student Union Program Board, that became the University Program Board, that became ACE, the Association for Campus Entertainment.

Riggins: So, that history used to be part of student government?

Moore: Right. It was way back then. Programmers are not politicians. Politicians are not programmers. There's a lot of difference. It made life a lot easier for both of them when they would come together periodically but they didn't have to report to one another. I helped them through many years of trials and tribulations with Student Government people saying, "Well, we need to rein them back in and get them back under our wing." And then the students saying, "No, no, no. We're doing fine. We'll report to you but we don't want to be under your umbrella." They became separate.

Riggins: Did Student Government have funds at this time to give to the organizations?

Moore: Right. It had just been, I believe a year before I came, awarded quite a bit of autonomy and authority to distribute funds. Of course that was a really big responsibility that the students took very seriously. I worked with the finance committee. They held hearings to see where they should award money and to look at what groups accomplished the years before when they came back the second time for money. Yes. That's very true.

Riggins: It works that way at all the state universities.

Moore: I believe it does now. Yes.

Riggins: I don't know about other universities but that's really neat. Any student organization that forms and get approval can get access to these funds. But it has to keep doing certain things.

Moore: Yes. They have responsibility. They have to report.

Riggins: We have a question here that I'd like to address before we continue. The other, maybe more chronological questions, and that is what are you the proudest of doing during your time here?

Moore: I've got many things to be proud of. I witnessed, and I think I served as a catalyst for a lot of firsts on campus. The first outdoor event, which was actually on the back porch of Hinton James Building.

Riggins: Really? And that was the concert?

Moore: That was the precursor to the Seaside Jam. This was back in the early seventies. We decided to bring in a band that was very popular at other schools. Mission Mountain Wood Band. A very lively, kind of a folksy aspect to their aspect. They came and played on the back porch a couple years in a row. Then we had other bands too. We had some great local talent too. We called it Super Sunday. We would have concerts in the afternoon on Sundays. At that time, we just had one resident's hall on campus, so we only had 400 students. I have to admit most of them disappeared on weekends because there wasn't a lot to do in Wilmington or on campus. But they would be back Sunday.

Riggins: This was the time to get them back.

Moore: So, we figured out that Sunday was a good time. people would come back early and sit out underneath the pine trees on the back patio, which is no longer there. It's part of the building. They've enclosed it now. But it was on the back side of Hinton James, before Trask was there. There was just woods behind it. I remember a funny story. The Mission Mountain Wood Band had quite a good sound system. There wasn't much traffic on South College Road especially on a Sunday afternoon. It was still two-lane as a road. The Lutheran Church across the street was a rather conservative church, probably still is. I remember the minister coming over and getting so angry with me because he was outside at an event with some of his congregation and they heard one of the band members say a four letter word. I'm not even sure if I can remember which one it was but it's one you hear all the time today. He was so upset. I had to calm him down a couple different times over the course of that day and try to get the band to turn down the volume so it wouldn't travel. There was no intervening noise between here in the street. Traffic was so sparse.

Riggins: Even on Sunday afternoons now it's so busy.

Moore: It is. Different world.

Riggins: He wasn't upset too much that they were playing music but that he could hear..

Moore: Yes. He could hear the bad words. It just wasn't in keeping with the Sabbath.

Riggins: That's good.

Moore: I do remember that. In addition to all the different firsts, establishing a leadership workshop for the student leaders early on in the seventies that grew and became so important that we founded the Leadership Center, which is now the Center for Leadership Education and Service on campus. That was part of the Union. I think I'm probably most proud of helping the students find their voice and figure out an appropriate way to voice their opinions to the administration. Especially in the early seventies, student unrest was so prevalent across the nation. I think our administration was quite scared of any student coming in and demanding anything, regardless of how reasonable. They were very worried the students could get out of hand. So many times, I got the impression that they expected me to hold the lid on the students because I was over there amongst them. Maybe I even got blamed for some of the unrest, I don't know. But I think I'm proudest of helping them in a considered way go about gathering their opinions, formulating their plan of action and then either through a story in The Seahawk or through a meeting with the Chancellor or Vice Chancellor make their concerns known.

Riggins: Gave them a way to engage in effective communication.

Moore: Exactly. Right. Whether it was about registration or the issues that are still around today, students still complain, I'm sure today, about cafeteria food, about parking, about the cost of books in the bookstore. Those were issues back then. The students didn't really know how to go about making an impact. I think I was really helpful in being a catalyst and also showing them the right way to go about doing things and hearing what they accomplished later on after graduation in their different communities and in their lives has been very rewarding.

Riggins: From what they learned from the extracurricular lives.

Moore: Exactly.

Riggins: How long did you hold that position?

Moore: My title changed and the position broadened greatly when we hired the staff to open the University Union. So, I went from just an assistant and a secretary to six staff, including a janitor, a housekeeper, when we opened the Union in '83 and my title changed to Director of the University Union at that time. I held that title until I moved over to the Division of University Advancement, which was in the fall of 1996, and established the Student Affairs Development Program for the campus. Student Affairs Division had never had someone out there talking to foundations or corporations, parents, alumni about supporting programs and activities and buildings even in student affairs. So, I initiated that and established the Parents' Counsel, Parent Development Counsel at that time. there was a Parent Counsel that worked on other areas and kind of drifted away. Then when I came in '96, decided to reestablish it as a development counsel and get parents to talk to other parents. That has worked very well up to this day.

Riggins: Good. How did the University Union come to be? I'm sure it didn't just fall into your lap.

Moore: No. It was a lot of blood and sweat. Actually when I was first hired in '72, they said get your thoughts together because we need a proper union building. Hinton James was too small. Physically it wasn't laid out correctly. With the growth potential, it was obvious we couldn't continue to use Hinton James.

Riggins: Hinton James was basically for Student Affairs or did have other things going on in there too?

Moore: Well, when I came to something, it just had the counseling center and then student offices in the rest of the building and then that room with the pool table.

Riggins: What about the Good Wood Tavern?

Moore: That's something else I'm very proud of. The Good Wood Tavern came in 1975.

Riggins: Students today are just fascinated by that. I just have to say, that we had something called The Tavern on campus. If you could talk a little bit about that, that would be nice.

Moore: That was my first really big project like this. I worked with the administration to get some money to renovate what was the old cafeteria room that was not very big in the pub. But again, I was proudest of involving students in doing the planning, in doing the concept of it and coming up with a naming contest for it. the students actually physically outfitted that room, believe it or not.

Riggins: I heard something about that. So this room had been the cafeteria.

Moore: And then it became a Senate meeting room and then it was the office for The Seahawk. Then we found other space, especially when the counseling center came out, we found other places for those student offices and we decided to create the coffee house. Students were very excited about it. I had found a student that was quite a good carpenter. I think back now about all the possible workman compensation issues and everything if he had ever gotten hurt, but we ended up being able to pay him and another couple students to go up to Hampstead, dismantle this tobacco barn, bring it down on somebody's truck, unload the lumber behind Hinton James. Then the lumber had to be cleaned, sprayed for insects, all the nails taken out and then the boards were there ready to be used. They paneled the inside of that room with the old lumber. Made a stage in one corner, put a little elevated TV in another corner. Created booths and tables and a bar for the snack bar to serve food. I actually brought you some memorabilia from the Good Wood. I have a picture of the big six foot long sandwich that we created on opening day.

Riggins: And that's the Good Wood in the background.

Moore: That's it.

Riggins: I heard it was one of the students who kept saying, "This is good wood."

Moore: Well, we had a contest to name it. The Good Wood Tavern is the name that won. And I have a copy of the very first menu. Is that a 50 cent hotdog I think?

Riggins: Hotdog. Homemade chili. 50 cents. Hamburger 70 cents. Brand new steak sandwich for $1.50. Wow.

Moore: That was the first menu. We went outside campus and advertised. A man that had an eating establishment, a small restaurant here in town got the contract and came with his homemade goodies. Students would like up there all the time because the food was good.

Riggins: At the time, the cafeteria was open in Westside.

Moore: Right. It was only open certain hours.

Riggins: This didn't compete with it?

Moore: Well, it did sometimes. It beat the pants off the snack bar.

Riggins: I bet.

Moore: Back then, beer was allowed on campus. The drinking age was 18 and so we allowed students to bring their own. We didn't serve it although some students thought we should. We didn't serve it. There was a state law against actually serving it. But we allowed the students to bring in a six-pack per night per person. So, students would bring their own beer in and be able to drink while we had the entertainment.

Riggins: That's pretty great.

Moore: That was amazing. That lasted almost the entire run of the Good Wood Tavern. It closed back in 1983 when we opened the University Union. I believe it was maybe two years after that that the drinking age went to 21 and the campus really became dry at that point.

Riggins: But during this time, '75 to '83 there were quite a few good bands that performed there.

Moore: Yes between there and then Trask when it opened in 1977. We were very proud of who we were able to bring in for a little tiny town. Even before Trask opened, we would have bands of quite renown in Hanover Hall that only sat 2,000 people. We had Chicago and Dolly Parton and the Atlanta Rhythm Section and Marshal Tucker Band. We had the big names. But we were able to get them right before they became really big, when they still wanted to perform in a small venue. Nothing of that size, of course, we were able to fit in the Good Wood. The stage was smaller than your office. Very small. It was quite the place. When we opened the Union we took some of the wood and paneled the activities office over in the Union.

Riggins: What is now the Fisher University Union?

Moore: The Fisher University Union. Yes.

Riggins: Of course, it's changed. Is that wood still on campus anywhere?

Moore: Carolyn assures me that they're going to have a display with memorabilia from the old Union and from its predecessor Hinton James which everybody called the Pub at that time. so there'll be some memorabilia on permanent display here. There will be some of the Good Wood wood.

Riggins: They called Hinton James the Pub or just that area where people played pool?

Moore: The whole building was called the pub.

Riggins: Really? I've wondered that.

Moore: Yes. It was called the pub. That was the nickname the students gave it long before I got there.

Riggins: Was there a snack bar and everything there?

Moore: Before Westside opened, yes. That's where the snack bar was.

Riggins: Then when Westside opened, that sort of overlapped with the Good Wood Tavern?

Moore: It did. Westside was the only place on campus to get food until 1976 when we opened this. So, for about four or five years, it was just the cafeteria, which didn't have a name. It was just called the cafeteria.

Riggins: Speaking of '76, you seem to have such a good memory; did Jimmy Carter speak here when he was running for President? He hadn't gotten nomination yet.

Moore: He was running for president. He was running for the nomination. He spoke in Keenan Auditorium. That was a big deal for Wilmington for sure. A lot of students turned out. He was very popular as I remember with the students.

Riggins: Did any other presidential candidates come?

Moore: Dukakis came to the Union and actually made his inaugural announcement that he was starting his campaign in Wilmington at the University Union. Yes. That was another Democratic candidate that spoke here. There was a lot of fanfare, a lot of excitement, a lot of press coverage.

Riggins: Wow. I didn't know exactly when- and then of course we had Obama in '08. So, that's at least several presidential candidates.

Moore: All Democratic interestingly enough. I can probably tell you when Jimmy Carter came.

Riggins: I think we have that in our timeline.

Moore: You probably do.

Riggins: I think I saw it. We keep a timeline. But I remember seeing it and thinking that was pretty neat.

Moore: It was.

Riggins: What was the student life like? Were there always a core group of students who were committed or did you have to drum up participation even at the most basic levels?

Moore: A little bit of both. When I came there were several students that were involved and with a campus so small they were involved in multiple groups. Because of location of my office, I was able to strike up conversations with people that were just there reading or playing pool and kind of drafting them into a committee. I kind of handpicked people that became part of the Student Union Program Board. I had to do a lot of encouraging, a lot of explaining, a lot of teaching along the way. But all very rewarding. What I remember most about the students and I think is true today, the students that came out where very committed. They were very sincere. They wanted to learn. I've had many performers and staff that joined UNCW from other places, say that stuck out to them too. Students were there. They were interested. They were committed. They would listen. We had probably a pretty docile student body back in the early seventies as opposed to some of the larger schools where students were very angry about many, many things. Our students were angry but they channeled it a little differently.

Riggins: You could say, some of the students may have complained about the docility and said that the students were apathetic.

Moore: Oh yes. I heard that a lot. I think we have our percentage and always will, just as it is true in society. What you're hoping with and students that come forward, that you're giving them the skills to be a good citizen afterward. If they're learning about themselves, about each other, about their world. I firmly believe that students believe just as much outside the classroom as they do in. I think I'm proudest of having a hand in creating that atmosphere of safety and giving them the encouragement to learn all they could learn, to risk, make mistakes, learn from them, go on.

Riggins: Speaking of the extracurricular and life and unions, were there particularly faculty members or people in administration who you worked with or who were supportive of your goals, who understood the merging between academics and student life?

Moore: There were many faculty over the years that were very supportive that would come to student events that would be an advisor to student government or a committee at times. Mr. Doug Swank comes to mind right away, the former manager at Keenan Auditorium was very helpful to our student groups. People over in Trask allowed us as much as possible to use the coliseum for student events, although we had to be very careful of the floor. We had to put down special flooring so that things didn't get messed up. We had to explain for every piece of paper that was left at the end of the evening why it didn't get picked up, with Trask being so new. We had to convince the administration that the students would behave outside. The neighbors wouldn't be too concerned if we had a concert on a Saturday on Brooks Field. I think as the school grew and we were able to attract faculty that had a good track record; that came from other schools, especially the bigger schools. They were most understanding. They understood what was going on. Often times came forward without me even putting the word out to help. So, we ended up with very credentialed advisors. The Seahawk benefited greatly from Dr. Joann Cyple [ph?] from the English Department helping them. Ned Martin in Chemistry often helped with different events and different responsibilities. We had to train some of the police chiefs who were very skeptical and police staff here, very skeptical of the students being able to control each other. After we did a couple concerts and they saw the students were the best police of each other. I remember Chief Billy Dawson being a very strong supporter after understanding and seeing for himself that he students could do that job of security very well with his people as backup. The biggest supporter and the person that made probably the biggest change in the student atmosphere at UNCW was Dr. Bill Brian who succeeded Dr. Malloy. He came from the University of North Dakota in the spring of '83, just about a month and a half before we opened the Union.

Riggins: Wow. He came at exciting times.

Moore: He came at an exciting time. He inherited a staff of only 13 people. That included the secretarial support staff too. The Division of Student Affairs was very small. He single handedly obtained the funding and received the admiration and respect of faculty and staff who didn't really know what Student Affairs was all about and build a division that was very well respected not only on campus but across the state. He was National President of the American College Personnel Association. UNCW got a lot of good attention, a lot of good press nationally as well as statewide with Dr. Brian. He was a huge supporter of students. I never knew that he ever turned down a student who wanted to speak with him. He was very supportive of me and everything that I did with the programs. The second building in University Center, he had a lot to do with that happening. He had a lot of politicking to do over in Alderman.

Riggins: Sure. There were some politics, some fighting for that space.

Moore: Space is always a scarce commodity at schools that are growing and we were growing fast. Two thousand two hundred students when I came in '72 and probably 5,000 in 1983 when we opened the Union. So, that's not a terrible amount of growth but it's still growth.

Riggins: It's 100% plus in ten years.

Moore: Then when I left, I believe we had 11,000 students in '96.

Riggins: It grew again. Hopefully, I don't think it's going to grow by 100%..

Moore: In the future, not quite that fast.

Riggins: Because you left in '02?

Moore: '96.

Riggins: You left Student Affairs.

Moore: To go to Advancement.

Riggins: And you stayed there for about six years.

Moore: Six year. Yes.

Riggins: Then Dr. Brian stepped down and he went back to teaching for a while.

Moore: He did. He's a ten year faculty. School of Education. Yes.

Riggins: He got to see things from that perspective again.

Moore: Yes. He did.

Riggins: I look forward to meeting him. There's someone else you mentioned when I've spoken to you in the past, Dick Mollandor [ph?]?

Moore: Yes. He came as Dean of Students. Dr. Brian hired him in 1984 I believe. Then he was promoted to the Associate Vice Chancellorship soon afterward and ended up supervising the Union at one point toward the end of his time here. He left also in 1995.

Riggins: He retired?

Moore: No. He went on to University of Mississippi then the University of Georgia where he is currently on the faculty there. I do hope you get to interview him too. Both men were very student oriented, had a lot of conversations, a lot of interaction with student groups as well as individual students. They had a huge impact on the whole campus in terms of making us in Student Affairs very student accountable. We were very customer service orient after just a short time with both of those people in command. So we were doing surveys all the time, user surveys to see how students liked or didn't like what we were doing and use that data to predict what we should be doing to keep ahead of the curve of change that is always out there. Very well respected people. We were very fortunate to have them at a big growth time at UNCW.

Riggins: It sounds like they were definite assets and welcomed at the campus. When Dick Mollandor came, he was Dean of Students but then it looks like.. Now there are Associate Deans but I don't think there is a Dean of Students. There's Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Associate Vice Chancellor.

Moore: I believe there is a Dean of Students.

Riggins: Is there still?

Moore: Yes. Jenny McNabb [ph?].

Riggins: Okay.

Moore: But there are a lot more people in Student Affairs now so there are many more titles so I know it's confusing.

Riggins: If you don't mind, I'm going to turn off the tape and switch it so we can complete our interview on another tape before we run out of room on this one. We're still talking on tapes even though we're in the digital area. This is a digital tape. We will continue on tape two.

[tape change]

Riggins: We're back on August 6th, 2008, with our guest today, Linda Moore. We're speaking about her career here at UNCW. We've covered some time when you student activities director and then became director of the university union. We were talking about stories during that time and do you have anything before I ask any questions that have come to mind in stories from your time in the union?

Moore: Well, I have a story-- the old story ________________ kind of isolated and small and quiet the campus was and that is in the early '80s there was a bear cub that made its way onto campus and lodged itself up in a tree, lodged itself in a tree near what's now Cameron Hall and stayed up there for most of the day probably scared to death until the wildlife folks came and got it and took it to Holly Shelter. But to think that a little cub made its way here gives you an idea of how much land there was around the university that wasn't developed at that time.

Riggins: I have heard that story but I thought it was earlier than that but it could be maybe there was more than one bear cub appearance but I've heard that.

Moore: It was in one of the yearbooks and I believe it was '80 or '81.

Riggins: I'll check the yearbooks. Great.

Moore: Yes, but there's a picture of the little guy looking down.

Riggins: And that was in the newspaper, too, I think.

Moore: Probably, yes.

Riggins: Yes.

Moore: Because he was there for most of the day.

Riggins: Is it true that classes were cancelled because of that? I heard that they...

Moore: They might have been. They might have been.

Riggins: So that people could go look.

Moore: Yes. To go watch him, yes.

Riggins: And so the wildlife folks came in. Was it speculated that he came from Brunswick County or something? I think that's where they thought...

Moore: Well, actually, there had been a bear sited around Topsail Island a couple weeks before and so it was theorized that this bear that matched the same size as the bear there might have been the same one. How he found the campus, who knows?

Riggins: Black bear?

Moore: Little black bear cub, yes. He was only they guessed a little over a year old so probably just on his own for the first time or maybe the mother had been killed or something. Who knows?

Riggins: Right. Hope he made it-- sounds like he made it.

Moore: Well, we hope so. He was turned loose up there. The other story I remember is that Cathy Beal, one of our very good Seahawk editors, was very upset with the administration's decision to remove Playboy magazine from the bookstore. At that time, we had a retired air force colonel that decided that this was material that just wasn't fit for the bookstore or the bookstore did report to him and he asked that it be removed completely.

Riggins: [inaudible]

Moore: No, he was the, I believe his title was Director of Auxiliary Services.

Riggins: Oh, okay.

Moore: Colonel Jim Clark. He decided that the Playboy magazine had no place on campus. Well, Cathy immediately took umbrage against that and decided that free speak was being abridged on this campus and that wasn't at all what should happen and wrote a couple editorials and probably even spoke to Chancellor Wagoner about the unfairness of that and, to illustrate her point, she papered her office, her Seahawk office, with centerfolds from Playgirl magazine.

Riggins: Oh, that's good.

Moore: And put pictures of that strategically taken, of course, in the Seahawk, as I remember, and, pretty soon, Playboy was reinstated to the-- and Playgirl as well to the bookstore. As I remember, though, they had to keep the copies under the counter so that was pretty interesting and I think it also made the Star news and, if I remember correctly, there was another letter to the editor about how students were being ridiculous and foolish with their spare time and this wasn't a proper topic for a campus to be concerned with.

Riggins: When do you think that was?

Moore: That was in the mid-'70s.

Riggins: I'd like to research some of these and do our own display.

Moore: Oh, that might be great.

Riggins: Incidents in UNCW history, just fun things. You'd be a great person to...

Moore: Oh, I would.

Riggins: ...kind of vent some of our ideas...

Moore: I'd be happy to do that and that's another reason why I thought getting those Seahawk editors together would be wonderful because they would probably remember, hey, this happened when I was editor or this happened the year before when I was associate editor or something. That would narrow down the number of Seahawk copies you'd have to leaf through.

Riggins: Yeah. They would give us a place to start. Yeah, that's a great idea. Can you talk some about student media? Sounds like Seahawk was really active for awhile.

Moore: The Seahawk was very active and, when I first came to campus, it was-- everybody read it because that was the only way to really find out what was happening on campus. The campus was amazingly active at that time. There were probably 35 or 40 different clubs, many quite large. We had three sororities and three fraternities when I came. Shortly there afterward, we started to gain more chapters. And classes, oddly enough, were not held on Tuesday and Thursday between 11:30 and 1:00. And that remained that way until probably the late '70s.

Riggins: And that was so that they could participate in...

Moore: Right. So many of the students commuted and so, the minute they were through with class, they went to a job or left because we only had 400, at the time, on campus. So that really facilitated campus activities and involvement, communication quite a bit, to have that time to look forward to. And, of course, sometime students were running from one meeting to another because they were in more than one organization but that helped a lot. And the student media were very, very strong. The Seahawk had a big staff, the Fledgling had a big staff.

Riggins: Were any of the staff paid or no?

Moore: After a couple years, we were able to get scholarship money and pay them a small amount every semester if they held their position, yes, they were. So it was only certain positions and the students really...

Riggins: Leadership positions.

Moore: Right. The higher positions. We created a dark room. I had a professional photographer come in and give us some advice about where to put things, created a dark room over in ________________ James that was shared by the Fledgling and the Seahawk. And the Fledgling, as I said, had quite a big staff. There were people that would take pictures all during the year and then, in probably the mid '70s, we had a videotape committee that came along, this is hard to believe, but they had these huge big cameras back then with the Beta format and we got money through student government to purchase cameras and film and students went around and made their own newscasts. The videotape club was very active. They were communication majors.

Riggins: That's quite...

Moore: And gaining a lot of experience in front of the camera as well as experience filming behind the camera.

Riggins: They would show this on campus television?

Moore: Then we were able to get it shown on the TVs in the old pub, yes. So that was quite the accomplishment and the videotape committee was very strong. And, when we opened the union, I created a very nice studio that was acoustically sound for them and that was about the time the committee started to go down. So, by the time we opened the union, didn't have much of the videotape committee still around...

Riggins: I wonder where those tapes are now? We could get them converted to...

Moore: Oh, that would be wonderful if we could find them but I have no idea.

Riggins: What about campus radio? When did that...

Moore: Campus radio was alive and well in the '60s and, as I remember hearing, from Doug Swank, who was an early advisor, the call letters were WCNU, UNCW backwards, that was the call letters and it was located over in Hidden James, in my office, at the time, and they broadcast with a little 10 watt station so that it just took in a very small area on campus. When I came, they were kind of on the move and we were able to get more wattage. Student government gave them more money for equipment. They had their own little place behind Hoggard. It was a little small wooden building that had been the campus police office that was very small but they took it over for the campus radio station. They flourished, on and off, until probably the early '80s when there were some very severe problems there with drugs. The radio station was closed down. Dr. Malloy and I made that decision that, after a couple talks with the students and promises from them that things would change, it didn't and so we had to close the station. It reinvented itself later on, came back to campus...

Riggins: As WLLZ.

Moore: Yes, as WLLZ. By the time that happened, WHQR was established in the community and they took over the 91.3 station location, the frequency, that WLLZ had had and so the students went to a smaller frequency and a smaller listenership. But that was quite a nice compliment to the communications department, to have a radio station here on campus, especially after the videotape committee kind of disappeared, to have some place on campus where the students could really practice.

Riggins: Yeah, campus radio is a great thing for students to get involved in.

Moore: It is.

Riggins: I think students, you know, would miss it now. I know WLLZ closed-- well, since I've been here, probably been about five years.

Moore: Right.

Riggins: Now [inaudible] radio station.

Moore: I read that, that they're going to do some streaming, I guess. Yeah, it's great.

Riggins: Yeah. So that'll be a nice option. So campus media was always alive and well here.

Moore: And very central to the students, understanding the issues of the day, finding out what's going to happen today, tomorrow, whenever, there was no real way to get the word out. My first year here, I worked with some students and we created our first one-page flyer called Today and then we advanced it to Today, Tomorrow and the Day After and would give-- different clubs would take those flyers around to different bulletin boards and they were only 10, 11, 12 of them on campus at that time to post the activities of the day.

Riggins: Right. So people could...

Moore: So people could see what was happening. And then we actually got an outdoor bulletin board built over by the cafeteria, which is now West Side Hall, to have an outdoor bulletin board with some sliding doors so that students could post things without the weather wrecking them. So campus communication was very critical and pretty rudimentary back then.

Riggins: Yeah, but it didn't seem like that, really.

Moore: It didn't at the time and, again, with 2,200 students, the word does travel a little faster than it would nowadays.

Riggins: Right. The cafeteria, you mentioned that, it wasn't called Westside...

Moore: No. It was just called the cafeteria.

Riggins: I've heard that that was a real pleasant place and that faculty used to go there.

Moore: Sure.

Riggins: It was kind of very homey.

Moore: It was very homey. You went through the line with your tray and I think they just had, you know, one entre, kind of take it or leave it, and then they had a snack bar downstairs for the students would eat upstairs, the ones, and you had to have a meal plan if you lived on campus. So that was the funnel for students. Three times a day, that's where they'd be so the outdoor bulletin board got a lot of attention and, in that way, it was, you know, fairly easy and with only one or two residence halls, it was easy to post things in their lobbies to get the word out, too.

Riggins: That would include meetings as well as special events.

Moore: Right. And when we opened the union in addition to some nice space for the videotape committee, we also created a very nice space for the radio station, acoustically lined walls for the DJ booths there. We put a lot of money into it and, unfortunately, the radio station, as I said, before we opened, had kind of disappeared so we stored some of their records and some of their things there for several years before they were able to reinvent themselves and come back again.

Riggins: Yeah. New approach. These are some good stories. It's always good to hear about student activities. Do you run into alumni in town?

Moore: I do. It's amazing how many have stayed around, especially from the earlier years. They are the ones that are close by and it's amazing how many people will recognize me and, of course, I don't remember their name and might not recognize them or I recognize them and usually I say, "Do I know you from UNCW?" and most of the time the answer is yes. And it's wonderful to hear what they're doing and how they're doing. Some of them are very forthcoming with remembrances of what they learned here and how that really impacted their lives, you know, helped them with a career decision or helped them be able to work more easily in the community. It's been great to see students...

Riggins: Talk about hard lessons they learned?

Moore: Yes, exactly, yes.

Riggins: Those are the ones that stick with you, I guess.

Moore: Sure. And to have an atmosphere where you can risk things and create, I think, is most important, yes.

Riggins: And make mistakes.

Moore: And make mistakes, which everybody will do. I think that's the essence of a good student activities program.

Riggins: It's a learning space.

Moore: Yes, very participatory.

Riggins: Yes. Do you have any closing remarks about your time at UNCW or about UNCW now or do you...

Moore: Well, of course, I'm very proud that I had my career here. It was a wonderful place to be. As I said, I grew with my job, which is probably unheard of in this day and age, to be hired without any background, really, that pertained and to be able to just grow as the need arose. UNCW has an unlimited potential for growth and for impact, not just, obviously, in the state but this whole region of the country. There's no doubt that Wilmington has the strengths in their faculty and certainly in the students to just take on whatever and grow however, however big it wants to be. And I think it's doing it in the right way, by keeping the student and the student's experiences and their education central to that, that there won't be, hopefully, growth just for growth's sake. I know there's going to be a lot of pressure from the UNC system. Wilmington is one of very, very schools that has any blank acreage to build on and so I know there'll be a lot of pressure for us to be big really quickly. So it's going to be a challenge to keep the student central to the plans that are made for expansion but Wilmington has a wonderful heritage, very interesting heritage, unlike any other school. With it growing kind of late compared to some other schools around the country, I think it's been able to learn from other's experiences and I think our students have certainly benefited. A UNCW diploma means more and more every year, I believe.

Riggins: Oh, yeah, I agree.

Moore: And part of the joy in my second career here being a development director for student affairs was working with parents and realizing right away quick that they were just as enthusiastic as their students about being here at UNCW. So many parents said, I wish I could do my college again and come back to UNCW. It's so much fun to come back here. I want to go back to school, you know? They're cheerleaders for UNCW and, through the parent development council, to be able to help those parents help all the other parents be more involved, feel more connected, it's just helped in so many ways I think the students' experience here. It's certainly helped in the development sense, too, because parents have been very forthcoming with financial support in some very big, big ways, too. After paying tuition and fees every year...

Riggins: Yeah. So would that sometimes come about after the student graduates or even while they were students?

Moore: While they were students, yes. The development council recruited parents to be formal members of the council and to give at a certain level and to help us find other parents that would be that excited and want to leave a legacy. So it's a good school.

Riggins: Does that position involve you traveling some out of state?

Moore: Yes. And visiting parents here and there and wherever they were. As I said, the excitement and the enthusiasm and the connection they felt to UNCW was really heartwarming and so few parents were students here. I mean, very rarely did I ever come across a parent that came to UNCW. Most of them, of course, had allegiance to other schools but yet here they were, you know, cheerleaders for UNCW and very willing to give to UNCW. It speaks highly of the school and where it's been and hopefully where it's going.

Riggins: Where it's going. Thank you very much for coming in.

Moore: Oh, I've enjoyed it. Thank you.

Riggins: I appreciate it.

[ audio off then on ]

Riggins: I'm back. This is Adina Riggins again after a little break and we are here because I remembered that you were mentioning that you were involved at the clock tower project as part of the University Advancement Team. Will you tell us about that?

Moore: Well, when I came into the position of Student Affairs Development Director, I thought it would be really neat to reinstate the senior class gift project. I did a little research and found out that the last senior class gift had been in 1967 and it was the small little sculpture that still sits in front of Keenan Hall and I thought, that's something I bet the students could get involved in and get excited about again. So I initiated a senior class gift program.

Riggins: See, I did not know that you initiated that because I just had recently gotten the list of senior class gifts since that time.

Moore: Okay.

Riggins: I did not know that you did that.

Moore: So I decided, you know, it'd been long enough that we needed to do it again and the first project that the students and I undertook was the little plaza in front of Randall Library with the bricks that have the student's names, the donor students.

Riggins: The seal?

Moore: The seal. So the seal and the plaza. That was the first project and, actually, the students weren't able to raise enough money for it so we had that as a partial focus the second time, the second year, which, I believe, was probably '97 and '98 or '96 and '97. There was a small garden and seating area on the north side of Trask, which was the next project. Then I started talking to Shane Fernando, who was the incoming senior class president in the fall of 1999 and Shane had this amazing idea to create a landmark for the campus and he had done some research and homework, as I know Shane definitely would have, and came up with the idea of a clock tower. Several people that he talked with discouraged him because of the amount of money it would take to really do a nice clock tower but Shane had connections, he had enthusiasm, he had a good, strong committee and I supported him all the way. The clock tower project initially had a price tag of about, I think, $175,000 and he talked to the chancellor and said, well, I'll raise half. And, by gosh, he did. Actually, he raised more than half for the clock tower. With community gifts, with several price tags put on those bricks that are underneath the clock tower, we were able to raise close to $90,000, which was an enormous amount of money. It was the largest senior class gift, of course, in this state in many, many years and the clock tower, obviously, has become quite a symbol of UNCW.

Riggins: Mm hm.

Moore: So I was very proud of Shane and very happy that I could be part of that and be his supporting advisor.

Riggins: That's wonderful.

Moore: In my career over the years, I've had many Shanes, many committed students that are just amazing to work with and I've learned something from each one of them and feel very fortunate in my career that I was able to work so closely with students, even as a development officer.

Riggins: That is wonderful, to have that connection with students. I guess [inaudible] of the gift, is that how it works?

Moore: No. The university found some money to supplement and they had to build the mound out there and put down a big, strong foundation for such a large fixture.

Riggins: [inaudible]

Moore: Yes. But-- yes.

Riggins: That was very special. The class of 2000 will be remembered for that. After that, did you continue to work with senior gifts?

Moore: Actually, I worked with one more gift, that next year, and then student affairs took over the advising of the senior class program and decided to also advise the gift portion of their activities.

Riggins: [inaudible]

Moore: Yes. Advancement gave it up to student affairs. (laughter)

Riggins: And it's still ongoing.

Moore: Yes, it is.

Riggins: That's a great legacy, one of your many legacies to leave us with. I'd like to also ask you-- I didn't warn you that I would be doing this but I mentioned before I thought, for awhile, that you still worked here because you seemed involved in students and student affairs. I would say, oh, I'm going to call Linda and ask her and then I even asked someone, I said, "Is she still working here?" and they were, like, "Oh, I don't know", you know, they thought that maybe you were still connected with the university so what have you been doing with the students in the last year or so that might make me and others think that you still worked here?

Moore: Well, most recently, Caroline ________________, the current director of the union, asked me to work with some students on the grand opening committee for the Fisher University Union and so I was on campus on and off to help the students gather information and figure out, you know, how to open those doors again. That was exciting and I felt great, very happy to be involved and included in that.

Riggins: Yes, in the redesign of the union. What do you think of the new...

Moore: Oh, it's amazing the way it connects with the Fisher Center and Warwick Center and now Burney. It's just an amazing clad over there of student focused buildings. The campus should be very proud.

Riggins: I agree. They headed their own grand opening this year. Part of it was featuring the opening the original union back in '83. Did you attend those festivities?

Moore: Oh, yes, I was here.

Riggins: I know they did quite a bit of research on the history, now it's history, of course, of the [inaudible] opening so...

Moore: Well, that was the committee that I was helping Caroline with.

Riggins: Advise them on what happened and what to commemorate?

Moore: Mm hm.

Riggins: It's beautiful there. I love the suite where the campus media are.

Moore: Yes. Isn't that nice?

Riggins: And then the other suites with the ________________ center and ________________ services, all the stairs there. Downstairs is nice, too.

Moore: It's quite the facility and, as the campus grows, it'll be just more and more important as just a real central part of what happens out here, too, not just a place for students to relax or grab something to eat but it really makes the student activity program work when you have so many of their services and advisors and everything in close proximity. Things work really well. When we opened the building 25 years ago, I never would have foreseen that, in 25 years, when that building was remodeled, that it would be connected to three other buildings.

Riggins: Right. You probably wouldn't have even counted on it being renovated in 25 years.

Moore: Right. Exactly. As tight as money was. Very true.

Riggins: That does say something. What about the Fishers? Have you gotten to know them?

Moore: I've met them and talked with them briefly. They seemed really nice and, of course, very excited about seeing their gifts materialize into bricks and mortar.

Riggins: I interviewed them and they were just really nice.

Moore: Good.

Riggins: To get their perspectives on the history of this campus.

Moore: The campus is lucky that it's garnering attention from people that are so committed to what we're doing out here. It speaks very well of UNCW.

Riggins: Thank you again. Any other closing thoughts or things I may have forgotten to ask?

Moore: No, but I'm just very pleased and honored that you would interview me and keep me in mind if I can help you fill in any blanks with your research. I'd be happy to help.

Riggins: I absolutely will and I do appreciate your generous gifts of memorabilia and publications to the ________________ and I'm grateful for your knowledge of names and information about people.

Moore: You're very welcome. Thank you.

UNCW Archives and Special Collections Online Database
Found in:
Randall Library | UNCW Archives and Special Collections | Online Database | Contact Us | Admin Login
Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign